According to a recent article, stakeholders in the $2.3 billion fishing industry in Wisconsin feel that the 40% cut back of fish stocked in Lake Michigan over the last 10 years has contributed to the decrease in business for almost all lake shore businesses. A request made by the stakeholders to the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) to increase stocking efforts in Lake Michigan by over 40% the next three years is being considered by the DNR.
- Expenditures of Great Lakes Salmon & Trout Stamp Revenues (2004-2013)
- Lake Michigan Integrated Fisheries Management Plan, 2017-2026
- Lake Michigan management reports (2007-2018)
- Wisconsin Lake Michigan fin clip summary, marked fish only (1995-2017)
- Wisconsin’s Lake Michigan salmonid stocking program (2007-2018)
To learn more about fish stocking throughout Wisconsin, visit the DNR website.
Blog post written by: Abby Swanton, Resources for Libraries and Lifelong Learning